Digital News Report – Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) was the main discussion on ‘The Dr. Oz Show’ today. Expert adult ADHD specialists were guests on the TV show. Later on, Doctor Oz gave three ways to improve concentration naturally, whether you have ADHD or not.
There are an estimated eight million adults in the US with ADHD. Only 25 percent of the adults are diagnosed with ADHD.
Dr. Edward Hallowell M.D. is the Director at the Hallowell Center of New York and Boston. He was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult. He explained that his marriage was saved because of the diagnosis. With the right help, you can become victorious in work and in personal life he said. His wife, Sue, is a couples therapist. She said that their differences are OK, because both brings strengths and challenges to the marriage.
Hallowell said that the ADD mind is a toddler on a picnic. It is not that he does not love you; it is the way that his brain is wired.
Dr. Oz is showed hard data collected on the ADHD brain. He showed brain scans of the healthy brain and the activity in an ADHD brain. The brain activity looked different from each other.
Warning signs that your Spouse may have ADHD:
1. Partner is easily distracted – You might be talking about one thing and then your spouse starts talking about something very different.
2. Partner is disorganized – He takes 20 minutes to get out the door, mostly because he can’t find the keys or wallets. They begin to do one thing and they get distracted and do something else which causes disorganization.
3. Poor time management – Is your spouse an hour late or is a procrastinator? The ADHD person does not have a sense of time management.
4. Partner is unreliable – An ADHD person may not come to an appointment because they forgot to show up. They also might forget what to buy at the grocery.
Adult ADHD Diagnosis and Treatments
The diagnosis is determined on the duration of these symptoms. A person could be these things, but it is how long and often that determines the ADHD diagnosis.
Hallowell said that it is important to learn to talk to the ADHD partner differently. Try to help them overcome their shortcomings instead of hounding them or nagging. Also, set up structure in their life. If you an ADHD spouse to do something, give them a list of only around 3 items. Make sure the list is somewhere that they can find it like on the bathroom mirror or taped to the briefcase. Do not put to many items on the list as it will overwhelm them.
Hallowell suggested an adult should get an evaluation from a professional who knows about ADHD. He said that prescription medication did not work for him; instead, he said coffee helps him. However, he said that their three children have ADHD, and they take medication that works for them.
Three Ways to help Concentrate Better
The next segment on ‘The Dr. Oz Show’ was natural cures to boost your concentration regardless if you have ADHD or not. Dr. Oz shared three concentration boosters.
1. Breakfast – shown to help improve short-term memory. Certain foods help to boost concentration. Hard boiled eggs (or any way you want) have choline, bowl of bran cereal and a cup of coffee. Eggs have choline. Bran has zinc and helps with impulsivity. Coffee has antioxidants and combined with the right time can help with concentration. Coffee takes 4 -6 hours to wear off.
2. Ginseng – Dr. Oz said this herb works as a stimulant and seems to enhance the neuro-chemicals in the brain. He suggest taking 100 MG ginseng supplement twice daily.
3. Noise Canceling Earphones – People who have lots of noise causes them to have a difficulty to concentrate Dr. Oz explains. He demonstrated the typical office noise levels and the noise canceling headphones helped reduce the sound levels.
Always check with a medical professional before taking any supplements or for proper diagnosis of medical conditions.
By: Robert Williams